miércoles, 17 de diciembre de 2008

As a teacher

I have many reasons for being a teacher:
First: This profession helps me to grow as a person because I an in touch with many people, their personalities and demanding situations which make me be more demanding with myself. Teaching helps me to think faster, face the consequences of my actions with every student, bosses, and colleagues; to be creative, patient, to have a sense of justice, and others.
Second: One is a guide and a model for the students, helping to create a different society.
Third: You improve on the use of languages in English because of the learning of new words and expressions and pronunciation. In that process, it is possible to find a link between English and Spanish.

Language is our mean of communication and as we teach it, we know it and understand it better. One should teach according to each student's needs because everybody learns in a different way. This is very complex. So, it is important to find common aspects in their learning process.
Students have to be treated in a different way when they're in the classroom and when they're in the break or another place. Because the possibility of confusing respect and confidence. It may cause a lost of authority in the classroom.
In human nature is necessary to learn. The important thing is to keep interest in what he/she is learning and that's an aspect in the teacher's role.
Learning is acquired knowledge than later can be used when you need it in any situation. As a teacher my world view is sometimes a little confusing because there ate grateful moments together with depressing ones.
A teacher has to offer what students need for understanding a topic and give a total clarity about it. Likewise, he/ she needs to have clear points in the decision making, which depends on the student's experiences in the classroom and the analysis made on them.
People learn when they want to learn because that is one of their biggest motivations. I facilitate their learning through a sort of different activities from different methods. I try to use the most possibly attractive teaching methods according to the context.
I teach according to the requirements of the philosophy of the school where I teach because I think it is very good, even through, it can be better. I try to incorporate knowledge acquired in the university which can be integrated to the methodology used at school. I design different activities for the class: they can be on the whiteboard, written in sheets, or corporal activities. However, I think that dynamic activities are not necessarily the corporal ones (playing games). Then, I try to create activities inside the classroom in which I can teach in a nice way.
The student's answers to the activities are very important. In accordance with that, I decide if continue with the selected activities or not.
For the material, I consider myself very necessary to have a guide book which help to have a clear north and I try to complement the information got with the book. Assignments for home should be about researching because it is better to practice and do exercises in the classroom with the teacher's guide and do a review at home in order to do not forget the topics taught in class. It is good to make special projects where teachers have to give a clear model to follow.
Nowadays, I want that my students learn English in a motivating way to get people who understand and speak in the foreign language with security and correctly. Also, with a wide knowledge of vocabulary which facilitate them to express their feelings and thoughts, and a big curiosity for learning more English. For example, technology is part of the student's world. So, is important to include it in the classes as possible.
I can improve as a professional by teaching because it helps me to face the real world in a classroom and by practicing because it becomes easier the process of teaching, the handle of group, time, and others.
I try to implement the ideas above in the classroom and I think than they are working. However, I need more time to be completely sure because many of my nowadays' ideas are recent.
About assessment, I do one individual which is more qualitative than quantitative because it is based on the student's interest for getting goals, I mean, the frequent use of vocabulary, their level of understanding, and their pronunciation to avoid fossilizations.
At the moment, it is difficult to stand future goals as a teacher. Now, I'm learning still and I want to improve my knowledge of English in the four skills. I have realized that this is a self-process and I attempt to make conscious my students about that.
Teaching in primary school has many facets. One is the tenderness necessary at their ages, that's one of the factors in communication; one has to keep an eye on their feelings and needs in the classroom.
It is important to earn the student's confidence. So, they can trust the teacher's knowledge and learn in a more enthusiastic way. That's why the teacher himself must be sure about her capacities. The better the student feels, the better knowledge he gets. Just like the teacher.
For getting a good environment, it is necessary to have a good relationship with students, be very creative in the design of a variety of activities, a food handle on the topics taught taking profit of time for avoiding messes.
Now, the students are using more words in English, they understand explanations in English, some of them correct the teacher when she speaks in Spanish. So, they are motivated but they need to study mote at home.

1 comentario:

Sandra dijo...

This looks like a sound statement to me: It draws upon your beliefs but also your own experience.

Word of advice: A more elaborate final paragraph can be the cherry on top of the ice cream :-)